Stress-free summer holiday ideas to keep your kids entertained
School's almost out for summer - joy for kids, stress for parents struggling to keep them entertained over six long weeks!
But summer holidays needn't be a pain: prepare in advance with these summer holiday ideas and you can have just as much fun as your kids over the break!
Get planning now
Juggling work while having kids running around makes coming up with summer holiday ideas a nightmare, so it's a good idea to plan ahead!
Here are a few tips to consider before their last day at school comes around:
- Create a bucket list of things you'll definitely want to do over the break.
- Plan out on a calendar the days you can all do something fun together, when the kids will need to entertain themselves, and the days you can rely on Nan and Grandad to help out!
- Use a six-week challenge to keep them motivated, like the Summer Reading Challenge or mastering a new skill.
- Make sure the food cupboard is stocked with snacks to keep them fuelled!
- Get back-to-school shopping sorted early so you can enjoy six-weeks of fun - you might even find a bargain or two if you beat the late-August rush!
Get set for some fun in the sun
While you can't be certain of what the Great British summer time will bring weather-wise, we're hopeful the sun will make an appearance at some point!
With that in mind, here's a few ideas on how to make the most of the break with summer holiday ideas to enjoy at home.
Lunch ideas for kids at home: Plan a picnic
Wondering how to turn lunchtime into a fun and novel summer holiday activity? Turn it into a picnic! Dust off the picnic blanket and go al fresco. Follow that up with classic lawn games in the garden and when you can, take your picnic on the road and enjoy the best of Britain's countryside.
Want to know how to plan the perfect picnic? Check out our blog below!
Ideas to keep kids busy: Go on a family bike ride
Cycling isn't just for middle-aged men in lycra or athletes in the Tour de France! If you're wondering what to do in the summer holidays, why not explore your local area on two wheels?
Take a look at the National Cycle Network to find a scenic route near you and explore it on an affordable new bike - great fun for the family and even better for relaxing evenings for you thanks to worn out kids!
Make a splash with some new summer holiday activity ideas
Rather than just taking your kids for a splash at the beach (don't forget sunscreen and swimwear!), why not try paddleboarding? It's guaranteed fun and everyone, even beginners, can get involved easily.
Shop inflatable paddle boards for gear that's easy to transport, while still being sturdy and durable - perfect for even the most heavy-handed kids!
Top tip: It's not all about the destination: make sure you've prepared for the journey too with travel games for kids to keep them entertained in the car.
Rain, Rain, go away: Summer holiday ideas for wet play
When the rain (inevitably!) comes, you'll have to think of some ways to entertain indoors. Save the stress of last-minute planning by getting prepared now!
You'll thank yourself when you're not hearing a chorus of 'I'm borrrred!' and desperately wondering when the kids go back to school - it's 1st September, by the way!
Items to consider in advance:
- Books for children and teens.
- Arts and crafts - stock up on some all-in-one craft kits, and let imaginations run wild!
- Baking equipment - Hold your own baking competition, then you've got picnic goodies ready for when the sun comes out again.
- Games and movies - Grab the popcorn and enjoy a movie marathon, or compete with games like Mario Kart or Fifa… loser does the washing up!
Holiday packing tips for your week away
Whether you're taking the opportunity to jet off abroad or it's a staycation for the family this summer, there's plenty of ways to make the break hassle-free; take our tips for holiday packing, for example - you won't have to worry about sitting on an overstuffed suitcase again!