Alien Woman: The Making of Lt. Ellen Ripley: Ripley as Cinematic Icon
Alien Woman examines the construction of sex and gender in the four science-fiction films comprising the Alien saga (starring Sigourney Weaver). The Alien saga stands alone in presenting an enduring, self-reliant female protagonist, Ripley, who in the first film ends up as the sole survivor of the b...View full description
Other Popular Unbranded Products In Film, TV & Radio
Compare Similar Products
- Used from £15.64
Condition: Very GoodWorld of Books
This seller does not ship to your selected delivery location.
Alien Woman examines the construction of sex and gender in the four science-fiction films comprising the Alien saga (starring Sigourney Weaver). The Alien saga stands alone in presenting an enduring, self-reliant female protagonist, Ripley, who in the first film ends up as the sole survivor of the beleaguered starship Nostromo. Subsequent writers and directors in the 1980s and 1990s, left to grapple with this strong female protagonist, reenvision Ripley to for different social, political, and cultural imperatives for women. Alien Woman focuses on how these writers and directors have re-written Ripley and how each revision informs our understanding of women in science fiction. And by examining the films' creation and commodification of the female hero, the books illustrates how changing attitudes toward women and the female body help us understand broader societal beliefs and relationships, and provides a useful lens with which to understand woman's place in the late 20th century and early 21st century. Alien Woman will appeal to researchers and teachers in film, mass communication, women's studies, gender studies and genre studies (particularly in science fiction and horror).
- 0826415709 (ISBN-10)
- 9780826415707 (ISBN)
Other Products in Film, TV & Radio
Top 15 Most Popular Products in Film, TV & Radio
Popular Products In Film, TV & Radio
OnBuy Deals Recommended For You
- Learn about the history of dinosaurs with easy-to-read facts
- This Encyclopedia Prehistorica is packed full of fun dinosaur facts
- A entertaining, interactive way to learn with this dinosaur book
- Take a visual & detailed journey through the history of weapons
- Examines edged weapons from around the world
- A directory spanning the Stone Age era to the 21st century
- Viking Boy is action-packed & sure to impress your young reader!
- Blends fantasy & history with a dash of Viking adventure
- Centres around Gunnar, the young son of a Viking chieftain
- The Scratch & Sniff Book Of Weed is 22 pages of fun
- Sure to entertain with over 20 scratch-&-sniff scents
- Investigates the history, effects & science of cannabis
- Learn how to win friends & influence people!
- Classic self-help book written by Dale Carnegie
- Perfect for improving self-confidence
- The Secret is the fastest-selling self-help book of all time
- Written by Rhonda Byrne
- Based on the earlier film of the same name
Shop With Confidence
Eligible purchases are covered by the PayPal Buyer Protection scheme. If your order doesn't arrive, is faulty, damaged or vastly different to what was described, you can seek assistance from their expert dispute resolution team to claim a refund.