How to host the ultimate garden party
There's no better way to make the most of the sunshine than with a garden party - but after months of gloomy weather, you may be feeling a tad out of practice at the whole 'outdoors entertaining' thing…
If that sounds like you, don’t panic; we’re here to kickstart your season of sun and fun with our top tips for planning the ultimate garden party!
1. Give your garden a spring clean
Before getting started, it’s a good idea to prepare your garden - and with just a little sprucing, it’ll be party-ready in no time!
To save you from any last-minute panics, make sure you do the following jobs in the days leading up to your event:
- Rake up any dead leaves and debris
- Mow the lawn
- De-weed your flower beds and patio (it’s also a good idea to spritz any problem areas with weed killer while you’re there)
- Plant some mature flowers for instant pops of colour
- Hide any tools or outdoor toys in a garden storage unit
2. Sort your seating
From sunbathing to sipping cocktails, you’ll spend a lot of your party sitting down, so getting your seating right is essential!
That not only means ensuring there are enough seats for everyone; it also means making sure they’re as comfortable as possible.
To up the snugglefactor, pop a few cushions on your garden chairs, or if you haven't got the space for furniture, lay out a few picnic blankets and scatter the cushions on top.
3. Be prepared - come rain or shine!
To prevent an unexpected shower or scorcher from ruining your celebrations, put up a gazebo or garden party tent before your guests arrive.
It's also a good idea to stock up on summertime essentials, such as sunscreen and after sun, just in case the weather is as nice as the forecasts say! Get a variety of SPF factors, vegan options and sunscreen for sensitive skin, so you have something for everyone.
4. Get the good vibes going!
Now you’ve got your garden, furniture and weatherproofing sorted, you can get to the fun part - we’re talking decs, music, party games, the whole shabang!
However you plan to party - whether that be pumping up the volume or a far more chilled affair - here’s a list of must-haves to kick off the celebrations in style:
For high-quality sound, check out portable speakers from JBL, Ultimate Ears and Bose - you can even find waterproof varieties that are perfect for pool parties!
- Party supplies From bunting to decorative tableware and even glow sticks, garden party decorations and accessories can truly make all the difference. After all, the devil’s in the detail!
- Garden party games Look for oversized versions of family favourites, like Jenga or Snakes and Ladders, and make up new rules to keep things exciting.
- Card games Raise some competitive spirit and prepare for side-splitting hilarity with popular games like UNO, Cards Against Humanity and Monopoly Deal.
- Paddling pool Perfect for little (and big!) kids, a paddling pool can be the centre of the fun or a nice chill-out spot to cool off in. Prepare for battle with some water pistols, and let the games begin!
5. Minimise prep with fuss-free food and drink
When it comes to food and drink, the key is to keep things simple.
You could go classic with a burger ‘n’ banger BBQ, or if you’re looking to really impress, why not try an outdoor pizza oven? Get the dough prepped in advance, set out a variety of toppings and let your guests get creative with their own personal pizzas!
Grab a selection of wines, beers, spirits and soft drinks for your guests to choose from. Or if you're looking to really impress, grab a cocktail making kit and show off your mixology skills with a punch, Pimms, or any drink of choice, and serve in a large jug to be shared.
6. Don't forget your evening essentials
The sun going down shouldn’t have to mean the end of your party - in fact, it’s just the beginning!
Warmth, lighting and entertainment are key to keeping the party going well into the night, so as well as stocking up on blankets, you may also want to think about:
- Outdoor lighting For a cosy, inviting feel, you can’t go wrong with decorative string lights. Look for festoon lights for an ultra-trendy vibe.
- Patio heater Because a British summer’s eve is never quite as warm as you’d like!
- Fire pit Skewers and marshmallows at the ready - this will be a certified hit with both kids and adults alike!
- Board games
And for when the kids go to bed, adult and drinking games!
Time to party!
You'll definitely be the host with the most with these garden party ideas up your sleeve!
For more outdoor inspiration and supplies, head on over to our Love Your Outdoors collection. From gardening essentials to outdoor games and this year's trendiest garden furniture, you'll find everything you need to enjoy the sunny season ahead!