Mollie and Other War Pieces
A. J. Liebling's coverage of the Second World War for the New Yorker gives us a fresh and unexpected view of the war-stories told in the words of the soldiers, sailors, and airmen who fought it, the civilians who endured it, and the correspondents who covered it.The hero of the title story is a priv...View full description
Sorry, This Item Is Out Of Stock
Enter your email address below and we'll notify you as soon as it's back in stock.
Your email address has been submitted - we'll be in touch.
Other Popular Unbranded Products In Historical Events & Topics
Compare Similar Products
A. J. Liebling's coverage of the Second World War for the New Yorker gives us a fresh and unexpected view of the war-stories told in the words of the soldiers, sailors, and airmen who fought it, the civilians who endured it, and the correspondents who covered it.The hero of the title story is a private in the Ninth Army division known as Mollie, short for Molotov, so called by his fellow G.I.s because of his radical views and Russian origins. Mollie was famous for his outlandish dress (long blonde hair, riding boots, feathered beret, field glasses, and red cape), his disregard for army discipline, his knack for acquiring prized souvenirs, his tales of being a Broadway big shot, and his absolute fearlessness in battle. Killed in combat on Good Friday, 1943, Mollie (real name: Karl Warner) was awarded the Silver Star posthumously. Intrigued by the legend and fascinated by the man behind it, Liebling searched out Mollie's old New York haunts and associates and found behind the layers of myth a cocky former busboy from Hell's Kitchen who loved the good life. Other stories take Liebling through air battles in Tunisia, across the channel with the D-Day invasion fleet, and through a liberated Paris celebrating de Gaulle and freedom. Liebling's war was a vast human-interest story, told with a heart for the feelings of the people involved and the deepest respect for those who played their parts with heroism, however small or ordinary the stage.
- 0803280319 (ISBN-10)
- 9780803280311 (ISBN)
Other Products in Historical Events & Topics
Top 15 Most Popular Products in Historical Events & Topics
Top 15 Highest Rated Products in Historical Events & Topics
Popular Products In Historical Events & Topics
OnBuy Deals Recommended For You
- Learn about the history of dinosaurs with easy-to-read facts
- This Encyclopedia Prehistorica is packed full of fun dinosaur facts
- A entertaining, interactive way to learn with this dinosaur book
- Take a visual & detailed journey through the history of weapons
- Examines edged weapons from around the world
- A directory spanning the Stone Age era to the 21st century
- Viking Boy is action-packed & sure to impress your young reader!
- Blends fantasy & history with a dash of Viking adventure
- Centres around Gunnar, the young son of a Viking chieftain
- The Scratch & Sniff Book Of Weed is 22 pages of fun
- Sure to entertain with over 20 scratch-&-sniff scents
- Investigates the history, effects & science of cannabis
- Learn how to win friends & influence people!
- Classic self-help book written by Dale Carnegie
- Perfect for improving self-confidence
- The Secret is the fastest-selling self-help book of all time
- Written by Rhonda Byrne
- Based on the earlier film of the same name
Shop With Confidence
Eligible purchases are covered by the PayPal Buyer Protection scheme. If your order doesn't arrive, is faulty, damaged or vastly different to what was described, you can seek assistance from their expert dispute resolution team to claim a refund.