OnBuy’s trending Christmas décor themes for 2021
In the immortal words of Andy Williams, ‘it’s the most wonderful time of the year’, and there are plenty of opportunities to make Christmas 2021 one of the best yet. With headlines and rumours focusing on shortages and supply chains, there’s never been a better time to start planning your Yuletide celebrations… and ho ho ho(me) decorations are the perfect place to begin!
Yes, whether you’re keen to deck all the halls this Christmas, or simply spruce up your tree on a budget, we have all the accessories you could wish for… and a host of ideas to go with it! Dive into our Santa’s sack of festive essentials today, and create your own magical winter wonderland in no time.
We could talk about new décor trends for hours, but sometimes there’s nothing better than traditional embellishments at Christmas. Vibrant reds, earthy greens, and opulent golds are firmly the order of the day here, and rightly so… with so many contrasting hues to showcase, it’s no wonder that they’re so popular. Helping you to achieve a warm, cosy, and comforting atmosphere throughout your home, this style effortlessly blends with a range of pre-existing interior designs, and can be easily mirrored in all of your favourite rooms.
- The tree: Simple, classic, and natural tones are an absolute must for this look. In terms of foliage, the bushier the better! Look out for models that mimic the appearance of a real tree, like this thickly-branched spruce.
- The lights: For the ultimate timeless touch, opt for warm white-coloured indoor Christmas lights on your tree – they’ll help to complement the darkness of the leaves. Golden icicle and star alternatives work beautifully outside too, as they lead your guests to the cosiness within.
- The decorations: Red and gold baubles always look fantastic on trees of this style, especially when their sizes are contrasted - try pairing these ruby tear-shaped ornaments with these spherical ones. Tartan tree skirts and DIY dried citrus fruit tinsel both equally harmonise with the theme, particularly if natural wood runs throughout your home.
- The extras: Owing to the consistent, rustic appeal of this design, you should find that any new accessories seamlessly blend with your pre-existing decorations. Wreaths, like this pinecone-encrusted model will carry the organic theme outside, while staircase and fireplace garlands work to welcome nature in.
We all know that traditional trees represent a sense of cosy nostalgia in the lead-up to Christmas, but what would the festive season be without a little sparkle? Yes, instead of rocking the classic colour combos this year, we think it’s time to mix it up a bit, and flamboyant, glitzy hues are the best place to begin. After all, everyone loves a splash of retro décor, and OnBuy has an accessory for every taste and preference!
Even if you’re not so keen on the brights, you can still achieve the colourful home of your dreams without the neon green tinsel or purple baubles. Muted and minimalist shades, like blush pink and frosty blue, can instantly add vibrancy in the long run without overshadowing your furniture or other decorations.
- The tree: As a base for your kaleidoscope of colour, it’s best to imagine your tree as a blank canvas. Thick, white models, like this tree, are the ideal foundations for your vivid embellishments, as their unassuming branches exaggerate the bright tones further.
- The lights: If you’re keen to make a statement, there’s nothing quite like rainbow-coloured lights around the tree. And, to continue the theme outdoors, why not invest in a festive projector? Sure to be a hit with the little ones (and the big kids alike!), its theatrical illuminations will transform your home into a magical grotto that Santa himself would be proud of!
- The decorations: To truly ramp up your tree’s originality, consider personalised Christmas decorations as a wonderful way to customise your spruce. Or, if you’re keen on the understated-yet-imaginative aesthetic, opt for colours that aren’t typically used at this time of year. These black glitter baubles are to die for!
Perhaps the most luxurious theme to rock the 2021 hot list, this year it’s all about metallics! Opulent, lavish, extravagant, and eye-catching, this décor style embodies everything we love about Christmas, from the fabulously shiny colours to the splendour of 6ft trees. ‘Rich’, ‘warm’, and ‘grandiose’ are the three main adjectives to bear in mind here, so go for accessories that simply scream indulgence, in silver, copper, and rosy golden hues.
- The tree: Of all the Christmas tree ideas on offer this season, ‘metallic’ is perhaps the most elaborate. If space allows, larger trees, like this pre-lit snow-flecked model, are always a real crowd-pleaser (not to mention a fabulous spot for presents), especially when bejewelled with glossy decorations. If your living room is on the smaller side, an expertly decorated 3ft Christmas tree can work beautifully as an alternative.
- The lights: To truly emphasise the metallic motif throughout your home, why not consider adopting candles, instead of your traditional LED Christmas tree lights? The natural flame will stunningly harmonise with all the reflective surfaces.
Christmas shopping? We’ve got you covered!
The countdown to Christmas has begun - and now’s the perfect time to snap up all your festive goodies in time for the big day!
This year, beat the endless queues and last-minute rushes, and enjoy the easiest shopping experience from the comfort of your own sofa with OnBuy! Hosting your very first Christmas in your new home? Discover a huge variety of decorations to suit every style, taste, and space. Cooking Christmas dinner for the family? Pick up everything you need for the ultimate festive feast in our selection of dinnerware. Looking for the perfect presents? Find something for everyone, including this year’s must-haves, in our collection of gifts. Whatever your plans or preferences, we have everything you need to make your Christmas magical, with thousands of products from your favourite brands at prices to suit every budget. So, pop the kettle on, put your feet up, and browse our entire collection today. Christmas without the chaos? It’s easy at OnBuy!