The power of steam: What you need to pick the perfect humidifier
Are you tired of dry skin and sore throats? A humidifier might be just what you need to improve the air quality in your home. By releasing moisture into the air, humidifiers can raise humidity levels and make your home feel fresher and healthier.
But do you know the difference between a cold air humidifier and an oil diffuser? Below we'll break down the types and features you need to look for to find the perfect home humidifier!
Types of humidifiers
Humidifiers are a great way to improve the air quality in your home, particularly during the dry winter months. But picking the right one takes more than just choosing between brands and prices; with the right model, you can also reduce odours and keep your home feeling fresher and healthier all year round.
Cold mist humidifiers: As the name suggests, these spray a cool mist of water into the air, making them ideal for relieving dryness and congestion. They're easy to clean and require little maintenance. Because the water is not heated, cold mist humidifiers are also a safer option for households with children or pets.
Warm mist humidifiers: Also known as steam humidifiers, they release a warm mist that can help reduce odours and bacteria. They tend to be quieter than cold mist humidifiers, but while they're more affordable upfront, they will use up more energy.
Ultrasonic humidifiers: Rather than creating a mist by evaporating the water, they use high-frequency vibrations. That means they're quite energy-efficient and much quieter to run. However, they can sometimes be too good at humidifying, so make sure you keep an eye on the levels in your home.
Oil diffusers: While humidifiers can help with some health conditions, oil diffusers are even better! They disperse essential oils into the air which can help reduce stress and create a relaxing atmosphere in your home. Oil diffusers can also be used as a humidifier.
What are the best humidifier features?
Humidifiers are fairly simple devices and the choice will often come down to the price, the capacity of the water tank, and the area it will cover, but if you want to make sure you pick the best one we'd recommend looking for these features:
- Timers: Most models come with a timer or programmer so you can set when you want your humidifier to run. This is great for saving energy and money, as well as making sure you don't make your home too humid.
- Auto shut-off: Similarly, a humidifier with auto shut-off will prevent it from damaging itself when the tank empties or when the room is humid enough.
- Ionising modes: This handy feature helps to neutralise odours by purifying the air - that's particularly handy if you suffer from allergies. It also helps to stop bacteria and viruses.
- Digital water level displays: It's a small feature but it's hugely convenient. Rather than having to open the tank every time, digital displays make it easy to see how much water is left and when you need to refill it.
- Quiet noise levels: Pay attention to the noise level of any model you're thinking of buying, especially if you'll be using it in a bedroom or other quiet space.
Choosing the perfect humidifier for your home
Now you know what you're looking for, it's time to pick the right humidifier for you. Cold mist humidifiers are great for relieving dryness and congestion, while warm mist humidifiers are better for reducing odours and bacteria. Ultrasonic humidifiers are energy-efficient and quiet, while oil diffusers can help with reducing stress.
Don't forget about the convenient features too, and by taking all of these into account, you'll be able to find the perfect humidifier for your home and enjoy all the benefits it has to offer.
And as the seasons change, don't forget about our range of climate control devices too. They'll help to keep your home feeling comfortable and relaxing, whatever the weather outside.