The Novel of the Century: The Extraordinary Adventure of Les Misérables
GUARDIAN AND ECONOMIST BOOKS OF THE YEAR 2017'Never mind those self-help manuals urging that some classic novel may change your life; in this sparkling study of the birth, growth and afterlife of Hugo's evergreen blockbuster, David Bellos argues that Les Miserables already has' Boyd Tonkin, Economis...View full description
Other Popular Unbranded Products In Literature & Literary Studies
Compare Similar Products
- Used from £5.42
Condition: Very GoodWorld of Books
This seller does not ship to your selected delivery location.
GUARDIAN AND ECONOMIST BOOKS OF THE YEAR 2017'Never mind those self-help manuals urging that some classic novel may change your life; in this sparkling study of the birth, growth and afterlife of Hugo's evergreen blockbuster, David Bellos argues that Les Miserables already has' Boyd Tonkin, Economist'Any reader who hasn't yet embarked on Hugo's book might be converted to the idea by this one' Daniel Hahn, SpectatorThe extraordinary story of how a simple tale of love and revolution, the poor and the downtrodden - Victor Hugo's beloved classic Les Miserables - conquered the world.There has never been a book like it. It is the most widely read and frequently adapted story of all time, on stage and on film. But why is Les Miserables the novel of the century? David Bellos's remarkable new book brings to life the extraordinary story of how Hugo managed to write his epic novel despite a revolution, a coup d'etat and political exile; how he pulled off the deal of the century to get it published, and set it on course to become the novel that epitomizes the grand sweep of history in the nineteenth century. Packed full of information about the background and design of Les Miserables, this biography of a masterpiece nonetheless insists that the moral and social message of Hugo's ever-popular novel is just as important for our century as it was for its own. The Novel of the Century is a book as rich, remarkable and long-lasting as the novel at its heart.Les Miserables is available as a Penguin Classic, in an acclaimed new translation by Christine Donougher, with an introduction by Robert Tombs.
- 1846144701 (ISBN-10)
- 9781846144707 (ISBN)
Other Products in Literature & Literary Studies
Top 15 Most Popular Products in Literature & Literary Studies
Popular Products In Literature & Literary Studies
OnBuy Deals Recommended For You
- Learn about the history of dinosaurs with easy-to-read facts
- This Encyclopedia Prehistorica is packed full of fun dinosaur facts
- A entertaining, interactive way to learn with this dinosaur book
- Take a visual & detailed journey through the history of weapons
- Examines edged weapons from around the world
- A directory spanning the Stone Age era to the 21st century
- Viking Boy is action-packed & sure to impress your young reader!
- Blends fantasy & history with a dash of Viking adventure
- Centres around Gunnar, the young son of a Viking chieftain
- The Scratch & Sniff Book Of Weed is 22 pages of fun
- Sure to entertain with over 20 scratch-&-sniff scents
- Investigates the history, effects & science of cannabis
- Learn how to win friends & influence people!
- Classic self-help book written by Dale Carnegie
- Perfect for improving self-confidence
- The Secret is the fastest-selling self-help book of all time
- Written by Rhonda Byrne
- Based on the earlier film of the same name
Shop With Confidence
Eligible purchases are covered by the PayPal Buyer Protection scheme. If your order doesn't arrive, is faulty, damaged or vastly different to what was described, you can seek assistance from their expert dispute resolution team to claim a refund.