Those Who Are Loved - Victoria Hislop
- We verify all of our sellers
- Secure checkout powered by PayPal
- All major credit cards accepted
- 30-day returns as standard OnBuy's minimum returns period is 30 days for most products. There are however some exceptions e.g. perishable goods, personalised items etc. Please read our T&Cs for more information.
Most Popular in Historical FictionSet 1 of 1
- A beautiful book from bestselling author Victoria Hislop
- Those Who Are Loved is a historical novel in a tumultuous time in Greek modern history
- Set against the backdrop of the German occupation in Greece & ensuing civil war
- Follows 15-year-old Themis from a politically divided family
- Powerful novel to add to your book collection, from a novelist known for impactful works
Those Who Are Loved - Victoria Hislop Description
'Victoria Hislop's view of history in her novels is, like the writer herself, a compassionate and generous one' Scotsman
The gripping new Victoria Hislop book by this Sunday Times Number One bestseller is set against the backdrop of the German occupation of Greece, the subsequent civil war and a military dictatorship, all of which left deep scars.
Athens, 1941. After decades of political uncertainty, Greece is polarised between Right- and Left-wing views when the Germans invade. Fifteen-year-old Themis comes from a family divided by these political differences. The Nazi occupation deepens the fault-lines between those she loves just as it reduces Greece to destitution.
She watches friends die in the ensuing famine and is moved to commit acts of resistance. In the civil war that follows the end of the occupation, Themis joins the Communist army, where she experiences the extremes of love and hatred and the paradoxes presented by a war in which Greek fights Greek.
Eventually imprisoned on the infamous islands of exile, Makronisos and then Trikeri, Themis encounters another prisoner whose life will entwine with her own in ways neither can foresee. And finds she must weigh her principles against her desire to escape and live.
As she looks back on her life, Themis realises how tightly the personal and political can become entangled. While some wounds heal, others deepen. This powerful new Victoria Hislop book sheds light on the complexity and trauma of Greece's past and weaves it into the epic tale of an ordinary woman compelled to live an extraordinary life.
- Language: English
Detailed Product Information
|Book Type||Historical Fiction|
- New from £11.54
Free Returns: No
Est. Delivery: 2nd-5th Oct
Free Returns: No
Est. Delivery: 30th Sep - 1st Oct
Highest Rated in Historical Fiction
Product Reviews of Those Who Are Loved - Victoria Hislop
All OnBuy Reviews Are Verified